Thursday 7 July 2011

Family and Friends

As I said to someone in an e-mail the other day, I've always really loved the idea of friends becoming family/family not necessarily requiring a blood relationship. This idea was first shown to me through my childhood best friend's family's relationship with another family in their lives. The mothers had known each other since - I believe - the eldest children were very young, and now these children and the ones that followed referred to the parents as "Auntie" and "Uncle." The idea that one could CHOOSE whom they love in that familial way was a beautiful idea to me even at age seven or eight. Now, I've often felt/still feel a bit guilty with how enamored I am with this particular concept, because my blood-family is AMAZING, and I will be the first to tell you that I do not appreciate my spectacular parents NEARLY as much as I should (although I think I usually feel very aware of how lucky I am to have my sisters and amazing extended family). Still, the concept of non-blood family has always held an extremely special place in my heart.

One set of people that always come to mind when I think of my non-blood family are the Harpers (not their real name). I have known the mother of this family since I was eight and she was sixteen (not the same family discussed above). She was my camp counselor and we always had a special bond that intensified when she was my main Personal Assistant in grade 8. We lost touch for awhile due to moving but when we reunited about six years ago via e-mail, I knew that our bond was still there. Now she has four kids, and it was/has continued to be established that this means that I have three nieces and one nephew, and the last niece has one middle name that matches mine. I don't think the mother in this family knows exactly what it means when she says things like "So your nephew..." or tells me that when she dreams of big family trips I am included in them. It means everything: It means someone has chosen to love me so much that I hold a special place in their heart and life. It means I am invited to birthday parties even when I cannot attend, and am constantly asked by my eldest niece when I am coming to visit.

The Harpers are not the only heart family I have. There are other friends whose babies I know I will rock or whose kids' dance recitals I will try my utmost to attend (or at least make a surprise appearance at). Essentially it comes down to this: for me personally it feels good to be wanted and seeing similar themes in other people's lives just makes my heart sing because it's good to know there is that kind of love in the world.

Tell me about your non-blood family. I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment