Monday 18 July 2011

Why My Life is Good, Part 2 AKA When I Possibly Say The Thing I'm Not Supposed To

The second reason I consider my life to be good is because, well, I LIKE that my disability makes me different. You know that scene in Love and Other Drugs when Maggie goes to the alternative Parkinson's conference and there is a comedian there who says stuff that is only funny to other people with Parkinson's? Sometimes my life is like that...certain humor or experiences that others without disabilities/my disability might not understand, I get. For example, do you know what a friend of mine did when we had a Snow Day at my university? He built a snow mount and people tried to fly off of it in their wheelchairs. (I did not participate because I was already recovering from a broken leg that I had acquired in a completely non-fun way...but it sure looked fun.) Similarly, I just love how there are certain things in my life that only people with disabilities would understand, like how being an inch too far forward in your wheelchair really does make a difference in one's comfort level. I love how people in my life start fabulous organizations like 3E Love and how it's super exciting when they accomplish new goals for the first time. Overall, I just love how my life has a slightly different spin to it, it certainly keeps me on my toes! (Well, not literally. :)

*Disclaimer-This series of blog posts is solely reflective of MY views about having a disability. Certainly not all people with disabilities would agree with me, probably not even all of my friends with disabilities would agree with me, just wanted to make sure we're clear on that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment